The Eight Point Wind Energy Center provides clear benefits to the local community, by strengthening Steuben County’s renewable energy leadership position.
Benefits for the Local Community
Eight Point Wind is delivering new jobs, taxes and economic development to Steuben County and the towns of Greenwood and West Union.
- The project is estimated to provide more than $40 million in revenue to local governments to support schools, infrastructure and vital services such as fire departments.
- Payments to landowners are estimated to be $25 million over the 30-year expected life of the project.
Local and State Leadership
Eight Point Wind has strengthen Steuben County’s position as a leader in renewable energy and help New York meet its renewable energy goals.
- The project is producing enough clean, renewable energy electricity to power up to more than 46,500 New York homes, build on Steuben County’s proven track record of wind energy success, and position the county as leaders in wind energy.
- New York’s clean energy goals are expanding, and this wind energy center has helped the state meet higher standards.
- This new source of clean, renewable power produces no air or water pollution and is in line with the state’s Reforming the Energy Vision (REV) initiative, which is fostering new opportunities for renewable power and new wind generation that has helped New York transform its energy generation system.
A Trusted Partner
With a nearly 30-year track record of safely building and operating wind energy centers, NextEra Energy Resources is the right partner for Steuben County.
- NextEra Energy Resources understood how to safely construct and maintain wind energy centers, in a way that properly protected the environment and community, because they have been doing it for nearly 30 years.
- NextEra Energy Resources currently operates two power plants in New York and continues to develop new wind and transmission projects in the State.
- NextEra Energy Resources’ environmental team had the expertise to address concerns and develop appropriate strategies that minimize effects on wildlife. Furthermore, the company used modern technology that mitigates noise issues for neighbors.